Stabilization of greenhouses films under severe treatment with pesticides – trends and new products
Mega trends affecting the market: Grow More With Less
- Global population is expected to exceed 9 billion people in 2050.
- Food production needs to increase by 60%
- Water scarcity
- Water use growing double the rate of population increase
- Over 40% of people will be affected by water scarcity in 2050
- Agriculture accounts for 70% of all fresh water consumption (95% in some developing countries!)
- Shrinking arable land
- A third of soil is degraded (erosion, nutrient depletion, acidification, salinization, pollution)
Market needs and trends
- Longer lasting films
- Maintaining all functional properties of the film (mechanical, optical, hydrophilicity, etc.)
- Energy saving & improved productivity (thermal screens, double cladding, “cooling” films
- New fumigants. Soil disinfection with chloropicrin. TIF fumigation barrier films should withstand high amount of Cl
- High chemicals stability: Constant growth in Agrochemical usage up to 5,000 ppm Sulfur, 200 ppm Cl,150 ppm Fe. Sulfur – “environmentally friendly” allowed in organic farming and integrated pest management (IPM)
Kafrit R&D Methodology
- Scientific analysis
- Wide data base
- All new formulas are tested in our Lab (accelerated (Xenon Arc, QUV) & outdoor weathering)
- Since 2009 cooperation with Government experimental farm with full agronomic support for new formulations development
- Own Field trials & with leading additive suppliers
- Commercial trials with customers around the globe
Kafrit NEW products
- Chemical’s resistant: S and Cl
- UVA 00701 LD UVA 07160 LD
- EXP (1990/60) & EXP (1930/60)
Performance of different UVA MBs under sulfur treatment – extensive field trials
- Walk-in tunnels.
- Experimental farm
- 160 kLy/year
- PE/EVA 3 layers films, 180 mm
- Weekly Sulfur evaporation
Excellent sulfur resistant of UVA 00701 LD, as standard NOR based solution (UVA 0G150 LD).
Superior Sulfur resistance of UVA 07160 LD.
3 years field trials with roses and peppers growers – 180 mm, LD/EVA
- Excellent sulfur resistant of UVA 00701 LD, as standard NOR based solution (UVA 0G150 LD)
- Superior performance of UVA 07160 LD compares to standard NOR and Ni based solutions. 70% retained strength after 36 months at the field. 2700 ppm S
Persistent UV absorption with UVA 00701 LD and UVA 07160 LD
UVA 00701 LD keeps on ca. 70% UV blocking even after 3 years at the field.
Outdoor weathering with chemical treatment – Chlorine based insecticide
- UVA EXP I (1990/60) and EXP II (1930/60) significantly outperforms standard solutions in Chlorine environment. (more than 500 ppm of Cl)
- Samples are available for trials with customers.
UVA MBs with no influence on pollination & color development – UVA 07920 LD
UV stabilizers’ MB with Partial UV absorption and “UV open”
- Plants that need UV light for color development (eggplants, red salad, nectarines, flowering pot plants)
- Greenhouses where pollination by bumblebees or honeybees is used
- Integrated Pest Management
UV vis transmittance spectrum, 200 micron 6.5% UV MB. Transmittance between 300nm to 380nm
QUVA exposure: UV absorber loss rate, after 1500 hours
- UVA 07920 LD (UVA 3) permit high transmission in UVA region (more than 30% in 200 micron at 6% dosing )
- UVA 07920 LD (UVA 3) has excellent photo-stability (less 15% after ca.1500 hours at QUV)
- UVA 3 is not listed as potential candidate in SVHC list (as vPvB), therefore safety to use. No regulatory restrictions.
Chemicals resistant UV MBs by Kafrit
For more information, please contact: