Antimicrobial is used to describe substances which demonstrate the ability to reduce the presence of microorganisms, such as bacteria, mold, fungi and viruses.
Antimicrobial Solutions for Plastic
- Bacteria, fungi, molds and viruses may cause severe damage to plastic articles and to the users.
- Unprotected plastic articles can be attacked by microbes growth causing unsightly discoloration, unpleasant odors and polymer degradation issues.
- Antimicrobial additives can be incorporated with plastic resins as a compound or as masterbatch during processing and provide a treatment to control microbes.
Kafrit’s Antimicrobial Additives
- Kafrit’s antimicrobial additives contain silver phosphate glass antimicrobial technology to preserve the surface and prevent degradation caused by microbial growth.
- It’s suitable for deployment in a broad range of materials, applications and process temperatures.
- Kafrit’s antimicrobial additives are effective in low percentage of use against a wide range of bacteria including MRSA, E.coli, Salmonella, Campylobacter and Listeria, fungi, molds and viruses, including H1N1.
- Kafrit’s antimicrobial additives will not migrate from the surface, cause discoloration or affect the clarity of the plastic.
- Protein damage: Antimicrobial additives cause damage to the proteins of the microbe and result in failure of essential functions.
- Cell damage: Antimicrobial additives that damage the microbe’s membrane, can cause a leakage of critical nutrients and calamitous structural failure.
- Oxidative damage: Antimicrobial additives cause increased oxygen levels, which can lead to damage to the internal systems of the microbe.
- DNA fragmentation: Antimicrobial additives disrupting the microbe’s genetics and can ultimately prevent its grows and reproduction.
Markets and Applications
- Food containers and boxes
- Crates for fresh food: meat, fish, vegetables etc.
- Medicine containers and bottles
- Plastic parts for ventilators and medical devices
- Face shields
- Syringes and pipettes
- Wall cladding sheets
- Stay fresh for longer
- Have an extended functional lifetime
- Be easier to keep hygienically clean
- Be safe to use in a variety of environments
- Offer lasting protection from bacteria and mold
- Minimizing the risk of staining, bad odors and material degradation
- Reduce and prevent infections in medical equipment such as tubes, catheters, cladding sheets etc.
- Reduce duration of illness
- Reduce cross-contamination
- Reduce infection during medical procedures
Antimicrobial Products Portfolio
We offer different masterbatches and compounds according to your requirements and needs for:
- PE, PP
- Kafrit will supply the additive and process parameters
- The customer will produce samples for test
- Microbial test conducted in external laboratory
- Product approved