A revolutionary foaming agent to reduce material and resin consumption
What is Ecocell®?
Ecocell® is a patented technology that infuses microscopic air bubbles throughout the polymer during the conversion of that polymer into a finished item.
Ecocell® contains a combination of additives in a pelletized polymer base that when heated above 393°F (200°C) releases a small quantity of carbon dioxide creating an air pocket or foam cell in the polymer.
The foam cell diameter is usually about 125 microns, and, depending on polymer type and process, sometimes smaller. At this size they are invisible to the naked eye. With Ecocell® it is possible to reduce the density, and thus, resin consumption, by up to 35% using conventional processing equipment and over 50% in processes specifically designed for foaming.
What makes Ecocell® different from traditional Chemical Foaming Agents?
There are three features of Ecocell® that make this product different than present day foaming agent technology.
Formula: The ingredients used in Ecocell® are different than those used in all the conventional endothermic and exothermic foaming agents. The by-products are different, there is less water given off upon activation, and the pH is neutral.
Cell Size: The cell size of Ecocell® is typically in the range of 100 microns allowing it to be used in processes where conventional endothermics fall short. The larger cells produced by traditional CFAs have a greater negative effect on appearance, printability, draw down and physical properties. Parts made with Ecocell® are smoother, more opaque, have greater draw down potential and retain physical properties better than conventional systems.
Activation: Ecocell® has only one activation point whereas conventional endothermics have two. Ecocell’s® reaction occurs at 393˚F (200˚C) and matches well to the processing temperatures for the polymers it is intended to be used with. Conventional endothermics have two activation points; one at approximately 320°F (160°C) and another at approximately 395°F (201°C). The first activation emperature usually causes pre-expansion, loss of gas, large cells and cell collapse.
What can Ecocell® do for me?
- Reduce material and resin consumption
- Reduce density and part weight
- Reduce molded in stresses
- Remove sink marks in molded items
- Reduce cooling time
- Increase output
- Reduce energy costs
- Create cells in the polymer so that materials act like cellulous/wood that can be sawed, nailed or screwed
- Eliminate voids
- Eliminate warpage
- Increase opacity and decrease pigment usage
- Produce a pearlescence effect on extruded and blow molded surfaces
- Decreases viscosity and increases flow
In what applications or processes can I use Ecocell®?
The following is a list of applications and processes that
Ecocell® has successfully been evaluated in:
- Art Board
- Blow Molded Articles for Automotive
- Cast and Blown Films
- Center Core of Building Composites
- Closure Gaskets/Liners
- Coaxial Cable Insulation
- Decorative Ribbon
- Extruded Sheet
- Injection Molding-Automotive etc
- Structural Foam Molding
- Nucleation of Physically Foamed Sheet for Packaging
- Nucleation of Wire and Cable Insulation
- Foam Wire and Cable Insulation
- Plastic Lumber
- Profile Extruded Moldings
- Structural Foam Molded Handling Systems
- Thermoformed Trays and Tubs